Monday, May 7, 2007

SoC progress report: May 07, 2007

From the beginning to now , I've read some documents about window managing, a window manager example, and I still need to read two big and boring documents about X client communication (but I already know what they are talking about).

Also, I've been looking at metacity's source code, trying to find out which part does what, and I've done modifications like "adding a menu that does nothing", because this kind of changes will be needed (that means I also started learning gtk).

I've talked with my mentor, Elijah Newren, asked him some questions, and he showed me the way about where and how to insert the modifications I plan to do.

I've been doing some test programs that use the new MPX Xlib calls to test the behavior of the new functions (more specifically: changing a client's pointer and discovering the devices and their types from the xserver). I've found a little bug but Peter Hutterer (from MPX) said that he had already detected and corrected it, but not commited, so there's no problem.

Also, I've spent some time creating a website and a blog, because I've always postponed the creation of both.

Problems? Well, I've been studying and testing stuff, so there are still no big problems, but I guess they will show up soon... The biggest problem is the university. I think I'm going to take a full week to write all the applications that teachers are asking us, then I will only need to care about the tests in the end of the semester (but they don't take as much time as the other stuff).

By the way, I really don't know in English how do you "name" those applications that teachers ask for students to write, and if they don't, they get less grade. Any clues? We call them "trabalhos" (jobs?) in Portuguese...

See you next week!

No comments: